Saturday 12 March 2011

Interview with Waseem Akram




Interview with Waseem Akram
Waseem Akram
Question:  Wasim how are you finding the T20 World Cup, entertaining?

Wasim Akram:
Brilliant. I think it's fun, it's fast and I think that's why its been picked up worldwide. It's quick, in 3 hours the game is over and there's plenty of action. It's pure entertainment.


Question: Any regrets on T20 not being around when you were playing because I think you would've fetched a pretty decent price at the IPL.


Wasim Akram: No regrets whatsoever, I think I had my time. I played three T20 games for Hampshire in 2003 but I didn't enjoy it. That was at the end of my career, during my peak I would've loved it. Right now the Pakistan team playing in this tournament is looking good and I feel like I should be part of it.
Waseem Akrem

Question: When the tournament started I went to some of the warmup games and Pakistan were really struggling. Where do you think things have turned around, was it the introduction of Abdul Razzaq?

Wasim Akram: It's typical Pakistani cricket mentality. They start off slowly and lethargically but when the do or die situation comes they all come out guns blazing. The introduction of Razzaq has increased their confidence and strengthened the batting as well as the bowling. Razzaq is a plus for the Pakistan team, I hope they're peaking at the right time.


Question: How far do you think they can go? It looks like a difficult semi-final against the South Africans up at Nottingham.


Wasim Akram:
On form you'd think South Africa but it's only a 3 hour game and if Pakistan can play well for 3 hours then they can beat any team in the world. They have the potential and the firepower in their side.
Waseem Akram
Question:  Looking at the makeup of the team there are a couple of young left handers in the squad, having been such a great left armer yourself you must be paying close attention to Aamer and Tanvir. What do you make of those two guys?

Wasim Akram: I'm the one who pinpointed them a year and a half to two years ago when I did a camp for Pakistan. Thank God the selectors picked them up, they're both very talented. Aamer is nippy and is only 17, he's only going to get quicker. Sohail has to improve, he's not looking good at all. He's not looking fit but the talent is very much there. He can swing the ball, big time. I think in general they're both good for Pakistan cricket. And for me Aamer could be the the bowler who could really save Pakistan's bowling with Umar Gul at the other end.
Waseem Akram

Question:  You mentioned about Sohail Tanvir not looking good, are there any specific areas you've pinpointed?

Wasim Akram: First of all I dont think he's 100% fit, something to do with his hip. If he's not fit then he shouldnt be on the tour, especially in T20 because there's no time to recover. There's a game very day. Secondly if he wants to be an all-rounder then he has to improve his batting, the talent is there but he needs to know how much hard work will go into that.


Question:  I was listening to your commentary and you mentioned that Aamer has a very good runup but that as he approaches the crease he moves away from the crease. Why arent these things being picked up by the bowling coaches and the academy coaches?


Wasim Akram: I think they have picked this up but will work on it after the tournament, it's very hard to have a bowler change anything whilst a tournament is going on. But eventually if he wants to take wickets then he will have to come closer to the stumps, I think he will. He's only 17 but he's a quick learner.
Waseem Akram

Question:  Aqib Javed is the current bowling coach but what everyone wants to know is have the PCB ever approached you to work as either a part-time or full-time bowling coach for them?

Wasim Akram:
No they haven't approached me since I retired. The previous board chairman (Nasim Ashraf) invited me twice for a one week camp. In the first camp I pinpointed Aamer and Sohail and in the second camp I pinpointed a fast bowler called Mohammad Talha. He's played a test match and is quite nippy as well. I cant be a coach on a regular basis but I can help Pakistan cricket, I dont need to get paid by them. My services are there, if they want me I'm there but first of all they have to want me.


Question: So the ball is in the PCB's court to contact you and to come to some sort of agreement?

Wasim Akram: Yeah whenever I have time, I can give it to them. I can have a fast bowling camp going on and give the inner details about bowling, like how to bowl a yorkers and how to look after the ball and stuff like that. But I meet them regularly when I'm commentating on the Pakistani games, I give them tips when they come and see me.


Question: You mentioned about Mohammad Talha playing that one test match, we've had reports that Aamir Sohail is working on Talha with his runup and action. Were you surprised that a guy so raw was given an opportunity?

Wasim Akram:
No I think this is the beauty of Pakistan cricket, we still give chances to player we think are good enough to play international cricket regardless if they're 17 or 18. Raw talent is the feature of Pakistan cricket, if they play at the age of 17 then by the time they're 23 they're experienced and they're still young so they can play longer for Pakistan.


Question: Are there any other fast bowlers that you've pinpointed for PAkistan. You've already mentioned Sohail Tanvir and Mohammad Aamer.

Wasim Akram: I dont know, for that the Pakistan board has to send us to smaller cities like Gujranwala, like interior Peshawar and Islamabad. In smaller cities and smaller areas, I think the talent will be there.

Question: Saeed Anwar recently said Pakistan is going through dark times as a cricketing nation, are things as bad as he thinks?

Wasim Akram:
I think Saeed is talking about the possibility that no team will tour Pakistan for 2 or 3 years and yes that will affect our international cricket. To overcome that we need a plan B which allows us to play home games in places like Dubai, Abu Dhabi and even England. We need international cricket on a regular basis to be competitive.
Waseem Akram

Question: Imran has been a critic of the domestic system for many years saying we need fewer teams and that we should base our structure on AUstralia but when I interviewed Lawson a couple of days ago he disagreed saying Pakistan is a bigger country and needs more teams. What's your take on it?

Wasim Akram: Imran has his opinion but I'm happy with the structure as long as it's consistent. Each new board changed the structure of first class but I think the direction we're taking right now is the right one and that we should keep it for the next 2 or 3 years.


Question: You were always an aggressive captain, you set aggressive fields and didnt mind having an extra slip or a silly point in place. These days guys like Malik and Inzamam have been very negative in there field settings.

Wasim Akram:
I think Younis Khan is very positive in his field settings, he takes chances and I think he's only going to get better. He needs to know how to communicate with the boys, communication is very important to the Pakistan team. Time teaches you and Younis is learning very quick.


Question: What did Imran Khan say to you during the 1992 tournament after the heavy defeats in the early games almost knocked you out of the cup, how did he turn it around?


Wasim Akram:
We had lost a couple of games but Imran had a belief in himself and in his team, he just said keep on trying and working hard. He said if we won 1 game then we'd start winning more and thats what happened. It's about believing in yourself and in your teams ability.


Question: We've heard stories of the Pakistan dressing room before the 1999 World Cup final and how it was packed with people who were getting in the way of the players and the preparations, how true is that?

Wasim Akram:
Yes, there were a lot of political people in the dressing room before the final but they all disappeared after we lost. It was a distraction but thank God the ICC have made a rule to stop anyone from going to the dressing room, however important he is. We did well in that world cup apart from in the final.


Question: The Nehru Cup is one tournament I always used to watch as a child. I remember when you came in to bat against the West Indies and hit that 6 off Viv Richards into the Kolkotta crowd. What was it like playing in front of 100,000 cheering Indians?

Wasim Akram:
It's awesome playing in the subcontinent, they love their cricket and unlike England it's very noisy there. I think when England saw the way cricket was enjoyed in India and especially all the noise, they thought that that was how cricket should be played and now you find a lot of noise even in English grounds.


Question: Everyone I've spoken to said that whilst you and Waqar had natural ability the secret to your success was that you were the guys who were still doing extra laps round the pitch when everyone else had gone back in. You were the guys who were putting in extra hours in the nets and with the coaches. Do you think the hard work and commitment has gone from modern Pakistani players?

Wasim Akram: It's about what your aim is, these days players want to be good T20 players and earn lots of money. Our aim was to be the best bowler ever for Pakistan, today the aims and goals of players have changed. The PCB needs to tell their players that if they want to be recognized as great players then they need to perform at test level.


Question: Wasim do you have any message for the your fans out there, we haven't seen a lot of success recently. Have you got a personal message for Pakistan fans around the world?

Wasim Akram:
This is the best country, England is where we have always got the best support internationally. These guys here have been watching us play since 1987, thrashing England in England. I want them to keep on supporting Pakistan cricket, the talent is there and with their support we can win against any team in the world.
Waseem Akran & Aqib Javeed